I have always been a fan of credit cards as long as they are used responsibly. The rewards that you can get from them are just too great to pass up. About a year ago, a friend of mine got me hooked on travel credit cards because of their ability to help my wife and I to start traveling for free. Ever since then I am always on the lookout for the next great offer from a credit card company.
One of the newest offers to catch my eye is the Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard. Right now the signup bonus on the card is 40,000 miles, which equals $440 worth of travel. The card normally only has a bonus of 20,000 miles. The only requirement to get the bonus is that you need to spend $1,000 within the first 90 days. That is a pretty attainable amount for my family when you add up groceries, clothes, gas and other essential spending that we do each month.
How the Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard Works
How this card works is that after you make your initial $1,000 worth of purchases that I mentioned earlier, you will receive 40,000 points. You will then receive 2 miles for each dollar that you spend. Once you book travel, you will be able to redeem your miles for a statement credit. 10,000 miles will equal a $100 credit. On top of that, you will receive a 10% bonus on miles redeemed. That means for each 10,000 miles, you will receive a credit of $110. This works out to 2.2% cash back on purchases.
This card is a rival to the Chase Sapphire or the Capital One Venture card because you are not tied down to one company. You can redeem your rewards on any airlines, at any hotel, at any business that Barclay classifies as “travel”. I am pretty loyal to my Chase Ultimate Rewards, but this card will be great for the next trip that my wife and I take. We will be able to use the sign-up bonus credit to pay for things such as food at the hotels restaurants, any resort fees that we might be charged and I might even treat my wife to a massage.
Current Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard Details
- Named ‘Best for Travel Rewards’ Money Magazine, October 2013
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles if you make $1,000 or more in purchases in the first 90 days from opening an account. 40,000 bonus miles equates to $400 off your next trip
- 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 months after opening an account. After that, variable APR, currently 14.99% or 18.99%, based upon your creditworthiness.
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- No mileage caps and no foreign transaction fees
- Get 10% miles back when you redeem for travel (i.e. redeem 25,000 miles for travel and get 2,500 miles back)
- Easily redeem your miles for statement credits toward flights, cruises, car rentals, hotels and more
- Complimentary subscription to TripIt Pro mobile travel organizer — a $49 annual value!
- $89 annual fee, waived for 1st year
Downsides to the Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard
The biggest downside for me on this card would be the $89 annual fee. It is waived for the first year so you will be able to take advantage of this offer, but then you will have a decision to make. You can either call and cancel your card before your anniversary date or you can downgrade to the no fee Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard. With that card you will only receive one mile for each $1 spent.
Overall Thoughts on the Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard
This card easily has one of the most generous bonuses of any rewards card on the market. Getting $440 worth of travel expenses after just $1,000 in spending is extremely generous. I think this card is a great option for anyone, and having the ability to downgrade to the no annual fee card after the first year is just an added bonus.
Latest posts by Sean Bryant (see all)
- Fuel the Flame Without Breaking the Bank: A Guide for Dating in College - September 29, 2016
- 4 Last Minute Ways to Fill Your Travel Fund - September 28, 2016
- Plan in your 20s and Benefit in Retirement - September 23, 2016